Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Stuff to Get Started

Over the past 26 years I've been the Director of Activities in various multi-level nursing facilities, had my own in-home child daycare, have freelanced for years (and continue to do so) for an online media company and most recently have been working for Visiting Angels as a PCA (Personal Care Assistant).

Through the years I've worked with a variety of senior citizens; some with dementia, some with Alzheimer's, others who were afflicted with various diseases or illnesses. I've learned so much about myself from the patients and clients I've worked with.

I've always had an interest working with the elderly. After all, they've experienced what we have yet to live.

One of the saddest things I've ever had said to me was from a man I'll never forget. He was a young resident (late 60's) of the nursing home I was working in at the time. He lost both legs to diabetes and refused to wear his prosthetic legs.

  • I have to admit here that I personally have difficulties with any type of amputation. Long story short, I had an uncle who lost a finger when I was very young. He used to tease us kids by sticking his little finger stump in our faces every chance he got. Needless to say it kind of freaked me out a bit. I had another incident, also when I was very young (8 or 9) where my father and I were at a breakfast place and we ran into a woman he knew from years back. He was standing behind me with his hands on my shoulders, introduced me to the woman and then, as any good dad would do, suggested I shake her hand by way of a proper greeting. I extended my hand to the woman. Unknown to my father, she was in an industrial accident a few years prior and lost most of her fingers. She shook my hand anyway. It definitely left a negative impression.

Anyway, back to my story, this man, Bill, used to lay there, not talking to anyone, refusing to eat, mad at the world. His wife would visit, he would ignore her and she would leave crying. This went on for months. I visited him each day and each day he ignored me. I had finally had it and decided I was pulling out all my tricks. I went for my usually morning visit, walked into the room, changed his daily wall calendar and didn't say a word. Instead I started singing. "Good Mornin', Good Mornin', You haven't said a word to me, Good Mornin', Good Mornin' to You. Then I did a little soft-shoe dance. Debbie Reynolds and Gene Kelly would have been proud. To my amazement Bill, started crying. I went over and held his hand until he finally said to me, " I have no purpose anymore. I have nothing to look forward to." I kindly replied, "Bill, you lost your legs, not your life. Get your butt down to PT and learn how to walk again so we can dance." I soft-shoed it out the door. I was young, pretty and much, much thinner 24 years ago. That afternoon I noticed Bill and his wife, Cathy, were finally chatting. She came to me after her visit and thanked me for bringing life back to her husband Bill. I kept up my visits each morning, sometimes singing, sometimes doing a little jig and sometimes, just sitting to chat. After a few months Bill joined the other residents in the dining hall. He had to attend in a wheelchair but he continued with PT and was able to finally walk with a walker and assist. We did have our dance.

Everyone needs a purpose. Everyone needs something to look forward to. Everyone needs to have a little bit of "self".

Through simple activities and tasks, no matter how silly they may seem, you can help a client achieve a sense of "self", a sense of purpose. A flicker of hope. When a client with dementia or Alzheimer's participates in activities, it can slow the progress of the disease by encouraging positive thinking and happiness within the mind of the client. Socializing and Reminiscing is great but add an activity or task and it's even better. I'm hoping to share some easy one on one activities and ideas that I've done with past nursing home residents and current in-home care clients.

I'm also putting together some easy recipes that you and your clients can do together; dishes that will appeal to clients with little to no appetite; easy tricks to stimulate your client's appetite; and easy to eat foods that will encourage independent, healthy eating.

Meals-on-Wheels is great but there's always room for creativity :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment